Today's daily event...a place to share

@Jan - Yes, I am so glad to have found out about the crisis team. After a year an a half of this stuff - I finally heard about them.

1 Like

Oh, the sadness of all this.

We went through similar when a friend died. It’s so hard to know that normal grief can be woven into the delusions, like a heavier weight it seemed to me.

Nice to have a plan in place, just in case.

1 Like

Since mine’s latest is to not want me as his payee rep, I told him to go talk to Social Security about it. His response was “sounds like a lot of horrible people looking for a way to abuse me behind my back”

I wanted to say - PLEASE tell Social Security that while you are there, also let them know about reporting us to RAIN twice for sexual abuse, keeping you captive and don’t forget to mention your concern that we are constantly monitoring you with hidden cameras in your home and most of all, tell them that you now are wondering if we have implanted devices under your skin.

Let’s go ahead and get that next determination of mental disability out of the way.

9 Likes

@hope - You really help keep things humous here. - Thank you. Years ago when my son was 22 he told me he was going to turn me into child protective services. (For not giving him money). I guess the joke is now on me since he’s living with me and paying for everything again.

3 Likes

HI DianeR, hoping your son’s possible scz does turn out to be from spice and does reverse if you can get him off it. I can see now why social security didn’t want him to know how much money he was getting in the first place. He never cared until he wanted to move out. I wrote them recently - its required when he moves- and let social security know that he had moved into a place that was taking all of his ssi and ssdi for rent and utilities, leaving him only his snap for food.

Mine likes nice places to live.

I also sent him today the address of the local food pantry. He can visit it 6 times a month.

Social Security told him that he can only earn $200 a month unless he would like his medicaid to stop. Medicaid pays for over $500 a month - transplant meds medicare copay/ state pays his medicare premium

Yeah, he is good for about an hour of work once a week, or 3 hours of work which the suppression effort will throw him into a full 3 weeks of housebound psychosis. $200 is probably pretty ambitious.

Joke is quite on all of us.

1 Like

@Vallpen I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. Never easy.

2 Likes

Yesterday - our daughter…(always comes up with a major need, each and every day) says:

“Since we are getting all caught up on my appointments, dr, eyeglasses, dentist etc, I want to have my front teeth filed down and straightened in front - just the 4 front ones.”

Mind you - her teeth are darn near STRAIGHT, only a tiny bit uneven across the bottom - and are beautiful.
Had to explain that she was asking for Cosmetic Surgery and that would probably cost nearly 8K dollars. Of course with her conception of money…she thought I was out of my mind.

At any rate - ummmm, NO, we are not doing that. You just never know what is going through their minds. But it’s usually something extreme.

2 Likes

@hope
Oh my!!! I really DO wish all that would come put…I’m giggling…but also know that all that is real and did happen (the delusion).
We actually had to remove the house auxiliary phone (have 2 phone lines in our office only 30 feet away) because our daughter called 911…8 times within an hour. Reason? She said her dad was being violent.
True reality…ummmmm, she didn’t get to do (?) Something I can’t even remember…go to her moms…something that wasn’t within our control.
But calling 911…8 times???
Luckily we had notified the county of her condition…prior to the calls.

1 Like

LOL. But oh so true.

Have been there with you on this one. Last summer I was called after 1am by my county sheriff’s office. They wanted me to know that Jeb was calling them to complain we were sexually harassing him in a computer video game.

They asked if I would make him stop calling them. I have no idea how many times he had called 911.

I texted Jeb their request that he stop and he was satisfied that they had called me. I guess he stopped that night. We would see 911 calls on his phone records - even on a Christmas Eve. I think they just started ignoring him.

2 Likes

here is an update on the young man in Victoria, Texas

After 7 months, teen receives mental health treatment
Jessica Priest By Jessica Priest
Feb. 15, 2018 at 10:12 p.m.
Updated Feb. 16, 2018 at 6 a.m.

About 4 a.m. Thursday, a teen with mental illness was driven from the Victoria County Jail to a state hospital in North Texas.

Attorney Jordan Fries said this came after he showed Judge Eli Garza that his client, Tyler Shelton, had gone from being No. 90 on the waiting list for a bed in the fall to No. 117 in the spring.

Deputies arrested Shelton after his family said he stopped taking his medication for bipolar 1 disorder and wandered onto some property he thought was his.

And Shelton’s seven-month jail stay came with an additional seven felonies.

They stem from when the sheriff’s office said Shelton injured himself and seven jailers after they saw him making a noose and tried to restrain him.

He said Garza’s Feb. 1 order, which the district attorney’s office agreed with, gave the state 10 days to find Shelton a bed or come to court to explain why none existed.

Shelton is required to get hospitalization so he can understand the charges he faces. A psychiatrist earlier determined he does not understand the charges.

“I know his family would like him home, obviously,” Fries said, “but they also understand that this is an essential part of the process that we have to respect.”

Christine Mann, a spokeswoman for the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, said maximum security patients can go only to either the North Texas State Hospital in Vernon or a unit at the Rusk State Hospital, which makes the wait a lengthy one.

“The waiting list changes over time, and individuals added to it are able to move above others in some circumstances,” she said. “These circumstances can include the addition of individuals who are found not guilty by reason of insanity being placed ahead of other commitment types (this is because of statutory requirements) and urgent circumstances related to the individual’s or others’ safety.”

According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, people with mental illness are more likely to encounter law enforcement than they are to get medical treatment. So, the alliance said, 2 million people with mental illness are booked into jails each year.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting.

At this point in time, a person who is suffering from severe psychosis is ten times more likely to wind up in jail than in a hospital. And people who are in jail and need to be hospitalized can wait months or even years to go to a hospital.

2 Likes

I know this is totally trivial and minor, but it’s just another classic example of the conversations we probably all have.

“No Mom. It’s not the flu. It’s because the dog breathed on me.”

And this is after 5 months of injectable APs.

1 Like

It must be hard when the meds only do so much - but they can do more over time yes?

I thought it was interesting how the judge was able to get the state to find room

1 Like

I really hope the drugs can do more over time. We’re banking on it, because it’s all we have until the next hospitalization and starting/forcing Clozapine. The mood is stabilized, but things always go south (symptoms very predictably amp up) towards the end of the injection month. Our son refuses the oral supplements to get through the last few days.

Why can’t they move up the next injection? People’s body chemistries vary and some burn through these monthly meds faster.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, it’s all about what med insurance will cover. The injections can only be refilled at the pharmacy after a specific number of days. For our insurance, BCBS, it’s every 25 days. Otherwise, the Invega injections are over a thousand dollars each.

Each month, when I call to schedule the next month’s appointment, I’ve been shortening the number of days before the next injection. I’ll keep doing this until the doctor’s office takes notice. This last injection, yesterday, was at the 28 day mark.

Our son also has Medicaid, but it’s his secondary coverage. I don’t know how many days need to be between pharmacy pickups for Medicaid.

I remember when SLW was frequently on this site, she was having a hard time getting doctors to be flexible and give her son the Invega injections earlier than 30 days, and this led to more hospitalizations and eventually Clozapine. I’m not clear as to why her son’s docs were being so inflexible. I’m just going to push the envelope until someone says no. Here’s hoping for 27 days, or even 26, next month.

Hope, are you his guardian? Or just payee? I fear my son would just say he doesn’t want Medicaid and they would gladly take him off. Do you worry about that too?

1 Like